Be it for business or pleasure, I've seen some awesome sights and lugged my bag through any number of 'exotic' airports. Believe me when I tell you that you will only struggle to carry your bag on a few occasions before you learn to travel light.
My top tips:
- Take clothes that roll up easily with minimal creasing.
- Stick to a neutral colour pallette to allow you to mix and match.
- Add in some bright (but not expensive) accessories to really jazz up those neutrals.
- Before you go, stock up on sample of your favourite cosmetics. These are light and can be used once or twice then thrown away. Best of all, they are usually free. You just have to be cheeky enough to ask at the make up counter or google-savvy enough to hunt them down on the internet.
I always have a stock in because you never know when you may be whisked away on that romantic weekend by your other half... (Insert day-dreamy expression here)
- Never take full size bottles of shampoo/shower gel etc. Never buy a set of re-fillable travel size bottles and never buy branded travel sizes more than once. (I don't buy them at all, I simply save the inevitable trial sizes you receive in gift packs at Christmas.)
- The trick is to buy travel sizes that you can refill and re-use time after time - ie the brands with screw top lids, rather than flip top lids. (Screw tops are also less likely to leak, so that's a bonus.) Fill them with your usual product and away you go.
- Finally, if you're travelling with friends, arrange your packing so you only take one of each necessary electrical item between you; hairdryer, straighteners etc. You'll be amazed how easy it is to then schedule use of these items between you...it's even better if you share a cocktail or two whilst waiting for your turn!